Ultraviolet (UV) Light and Its Benefits

The first thing that popped up in our mind after hearing the word ultraviolet light might be the sun. In fact, sunlight is one of the main sources of UV radiation and is a key part of UV light’s existence on earth, and we do have a lot of misconceptions about it. 

What is Ultraviolet (UV) Light? 

UV light is a type of electromagnetic radiation, and like most radiations it is invisible to the eye. The most common form of UV light we are exposed to is sunlight, which produces three main types of UV rays: UVA, UVB and UVC.

UVA rays make up 95% of the UV rays that reach the ground, while UVB rays make up the remaining 5%. UVC rays with its shortest wavelength, and its most dangerous radiation however does not reach the earth's surface as it is blocked by the ozone layer in the atmosphere. 

Benefits of Exposure to UV Light 

As mentioned above, the most common form of UV light we are exposed to is sunlight. The exposure of sunlight helps the skin produce a type of vitamin D called vitamin D3, which plays an important role along with calcium to maintain bone and muscle health, while also increasing our mood and strengthening our immune systems. 

It’s Role in Laundry Drying 

Sunlight is a very helpful and useful friend while drying our laundry. Not only does it give our clothes a warm and cozy feel, it can also help disinfect them, killing 99.9% of bacterias and germs. Ever worried about a cloudy day? With CAPTAIN automated laundry system, you can have the UV light function with a click of button along with many other more.  

Misconceptions Explained 

Cancer causing? Skin damage? We all know too much of anything is a bad thing, and that is the same with UV light. According to the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), “If exposure to sunlight continues for several years, the damaged skin has an increased chance of developing one of the forms of skin cancer”, however highlighting “it may not be the only cause of the disease” 

To sum it up, there are not just one but various different factors leading to the development of skin cancer, and it shouldn’t be something to be worried about in life and something to stop you from living life to its fullest. 

An excessive amount of it can cause harm to your dark-colored clothing but with CAPTAIN’s UV light function it will automatically turn off after 30 minutes once it finishes disinfecting your clothes. The heater and blower function on the other hand will be in charge of drying your clothes within 2 hours, leaving you nothing to be worried about. Live a life free of burden and limitations now with CAPTAIN auotomated laundry system.  

OSH Answers. "Skin Cancer and Sunlight." Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, 1 Aug. 2021, www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/skin_cancer.html